Sunday, September 30, 2012

Happy Birthday, Me

Every day we wake up, we wake up a day older. That doesn't necessarily mean we wake up any wiser, but we strive.

Today marks the 24th year of my existence, and I feel like a totally different person. Gone is the boy who's helpless without a companion. The past year has taught me lessons that I didn't want to learn, and I ended up giving myself the best gift I could ever give: the gift of independence. Don't get me wrong though, I still need to have people around me to truly thrive. That's just who I am. However, I'm beginning to appreciate the joys of being on my own. I'm beginning to learn that I don't need to have a companion to enjoy some of the things that life has to offer. Company is good, but not always necessary.

Movie for one. A small step for most, a big one for me.

I've also learned not to put up with things I cannot stand, may it be people, objects, or situations. I cannot keep compromising myself for the benefit of others. I have a duty to myself, and that is to keep myself sane and free from things that weigh me down. And seeing as I have no room for negativity at this point in my life, I have resolved to be indifferent of these things. Disliking takes too much effort. :)

I thank God for another year and another chance to find myself, but mostly I thank Him for everything that's happened. I thank Him for the gift of friends both old and new, and for family that's ever growing. I thank God for giving me the chance to grow and broaden my horizons, as well as the chance to know myself a little better. One more year may have been added to my life, but really, it makes no difference. After all, years will always pale in comparison with maturity.

1 comment: