Friday, January 22, 2010

Ten Things You May Not Know About Peter Pan

Earlier this month, while browsing through deviantart for some Disney-related images, I came across a fan art of Peter Pan. I liked it so much that it reawakened my love for the movie and the character. Since then, I started to look for anything that's related to Peter Pan. It has become my personal obsession. I know not everyone appreciates the story, but, hey, we all have our preferences.

I realized that I have taken my Peter Pan addiction so far on tumblr that I've decided to post this here. I didn't want to turn that page into a Peter Pan shrine. After all, there are plenty of them out there already. Hehe. So to satisfy my "need" for anything Pan-related, here are ten things about Peter Pan that you may not have known.
  • Disney's Peter Pan was the first Peter Pan ever to be played by a boy, but it was the 2003 version that had the first live boy to play the part. Traditionally, Pan had always been played by women.
  • Since the very first showing of Peter Pan, the same actor who plays Captain Hook also plays Mr. Darling.
  • In the original 1953 Disney version, there is a scene where Tinkerbell is dying and Peter sings a song to save her, but this scene was taken out in later versions. Tinkerbell appears with Peter later in the film and no explanation is given as to her healing.
  • Kathryn Beaumont, the girl who voiced Wendy Darling in the Disney adaptation, also voiced Alice in Alice in Wonderland.
  • J.M. Barrie gave the rights for Peter Pan to Great Ormond Street Hospital in 1929.
  • Many people believe that Marilyn Monroe had the body that Tinkerbell's curvaceous one was based on, but it wasn't. It was actually based on actress Margaret Kerry.
  • The name Wendy was popularized by the book. It was very uncommon before Barrie used it for the book's heroine.
  • The characters of Peter Pan were based on Barrie's friends, the Llewleyn Davies kids. Peter Pan was said to be based from the child of the same name, Peter Llewelyn Davies.
  • The height requirement for the Face Character of Peter Pan in Disneyland is between 5'1" to 5'4". Hurray for me!
  • The melody for the song Second Star to the Right from Disney's Peter Pan was originally intended for Alice in Wonderland.

1 comment: