Monday, January 11, 2010

There Is Something Strange In Your Neighborhood

Have you read a good book lately? I have. And if you have the time, let me tell you all about it.

Just recently, I read a book called Kapitan Sino by the witty and remarkably humorous Filipino writer, Bob Ong. It's a little different from the others he wrote as it is not semi-biographical, but his charming wit and humor are still very much present in the said book.

Like Macarthur, his other novel-ish type book, it's still sort of a comic tragedy but it's not half as depressing. It tells the story of a Pinoy superhero and his struggles in life, but presented in a way that's closer to reality than most of the superhero comics or novels. It showed a superhero that's flawed and, in spite of having superpowers, very human. It also paints a very clear picture of the kind of society we're in.

I'm not very good at summarizing things, so I suggest you read for yourself. I won't say it's a great book because the plot is not really something new (and it might also cause you to raise your expectations), but it's a really good read. It's entertaining as it is very funny. Also, it has the Bob Ong trademark. You learn a good lesson after all the funny anecdotes without spending more than Php 200.

If you're looking for something to read to pass the time, I suggest you read Kapitan Sino.

Whoa. I think I just wrote my first book review.

No comments:

Post a Comment