Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Party - Burkes-Style

Stupid things don't feel so stupid when you're doing it with good friends.

Last night, my friends and I came together for a little tradition - our annual Christmas Party. We had food, games, and tons of fun. Although it may sound very cliche to say that it was a party like no other, it's actually true. It was a party like no other. Because being the eccentric group of friends that we are, we didn't do a traditional Christmas Party where everyone just comes in and bring gifts and chat around the Christmas table. No. We're far too creative and far too child-like to do just that. We did something out of the ordinary. A little immature, yes, but way more fun than doing it the old way. We did away with tradition and had a themed-costume party.

Costume parties are usually associated with Halloween, yes, but the gang and I thought that it would be fun to do things differently this year. With all the changes that had transpired throughout the year, we felt it was quite appropriate to blow the winds of change to our party's direction as well. And since most of us are frustrated travelers who can't afford plane tickets to our dream destinations, we decided to bring the world to us. We decided to party as representatives of varying nations. And I would be representing Greece.

But wearing costumes for a Christmas party is just the tip of the iceberg. We did another thing that we could only dare to do in front of each other. Something that we only did out of respect for our friend who cooked up the idea. The highlight, if I may say so, of the year's most awaited event. We did a Christmas Talent show. My God, the thought alone makes me laugh my ass off. It was something so embarrassing, yet highly entertaining at the same time. It was an I-hope-no-one-sees-this kind of thing, but you just can't help but laugh at the thought of seemingly mature people doing something so immature. I'm not sure if it's the right thing to say, but I'm sort of glad in a but-it-still would-have-been-fine-without-it kind of way that Jdin thought of something as stupid as that. It sort of made my year. Ha!

So yeah, I had a great time last night. Inspite of all the day's challenges like stitching up a greek costume, being sick and sleepy, Abi's headache, Marah's pancit, Nicole's wallet, Margy's absence. Somehow, the company of the best friends anyone could ever have made up for all of it.

Parkmall. I Love You Goodbye. Sylvanas. Sean's Ice Cream. The Jingle Sluts. Bottom 3 Costumes (Sean, Marah, Karen). Manito-Manita. Personal Item Raffle. I can only sum it up in three words: I love it.

Καλά Χριστούγεννα!

That's Greek for Merry Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment