Thursday, December 31, 2009

There is Hope After All

It is with great sorrow when I say that I don't trust people, and with even greater sorrow when I say that I know I'm not alone. We've seen it all. The lying between friends, stealing between neighbors, trafficking of our children, and killing of our brothers. All these are enough reasons to be lackadaisical when it comes to the human race. However, something happened today that made me question my cynic ideation.

Like any normal day, I took the first step to reaching my favorite destination (home!) by riding a jeepney along the road of Gen. Maxilom Ave. With only a one-hundred-peso bill and four one-peso coins in my wallet, it never crossed my mind that I might have any trouble in paying the ride's fare. But when I handed over my one hundred peso bill (since, of course, four pesos isn't enough to pay for the ride), the jeepney driver told me he had no change. I didn't know what to do then but to take out all my coins and show it to the driver, clueless as to what would be the best thing to do at the situation. The driver barely even noticed that he was giving me the hard time making it my responsibility to look for loose change just so that he could get paid. I mean c'mon, it's not my fault he has no change! Bugger.

Anyway, as I was showing the driver my four coins with (tired) puppy-eyes, I didn't realize that I had caught the attention of the lady sitting right across me. I was about to tell the driver about having only four pesos when she stepped in and offered to help. She wanted to help both me and the driver, so she told me not to worry and handed me a five peso coin. I was shocked, needless to say. Why would a stranger want to help me and the driver out? It wasn't even any of her business. So imagine how dumbfounded I was as I cracked a meek smile and said "thank you".

In the crazy world that we're in, it's so rare to find a genuinely kind heart. Much less when you're caught in a sticky situation. So whenever you meet one, never fail to express appreciation and thank the heavens for letting you encounter such an angel. It doesn't matter how small or how big that person has helped, as long as you felt that it was done out of goodwill. And after experiencing the privilege of meeting such a person, don't forget to pay the kindness forward. Because such an act isn't supposed to stop with you. It's meant to be shared. Be an angel yourself. Be a blessing to others.

After today, I can't really say that the human race has regained my trust. I still doubt other people's sincerity, and I still stand by my cynic ideation. But something has changed though. Something has made me feel a little better about people. And that something has made me believe that there may be hope left for humanity after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment