Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Mom - The Perseverant Woman

One of my mom's best and worst qualities is that she never gives up - something you'd expect from any mother so as to keep her family afloat. And although it can get annoying in some situations (like in an argument), it's actually one of the qualities that endear her more to me.

Anyway, before this turns into a sappy declaration of love for my mother (which, for me, is the best mom by the way), let me share an incident that amuses me everytime its pops to my head. Something that happened yesterday on our way to church. A perfect example of my mom's persevering character.



On our way to church, my mom asks me about my brother.

Mama: Unsa na orasa nilakaw imong manghod?

Me: Ambot. Hapon na.

Mama: Mga unsa orasa sa hapon?

Me: Ambot. Natug man ko. Basta hapon.

Mama: Mga unsa orasa?

Me: Wa lagi ko kahibaw kay natug ko.

Mama: Aww.. Mga unsa man ka orasa natug?



That's it. Okay, so it's not as funny as it was when it happened. But it really was at that time. I mean I was not in the best mood at that time, but it really gave me a lift.

Anyway, what really amused me was how she tried to twist up her question at the end of the conversation just to get her answer. And somehow it didn't only make me laugh, but it also made me happy. Because that little encounter reminded me what my mom was really made of. How determined she really is. It made me think over the other times she didn't give up. The other times she "twisted" her way just to make things right for me and my family. And it just made me love her even more.

Cheers to the woman who never gives up! Cheers to my mom!

1 comment: